$50 off first online class | Use code "WELCOMETOAW" at checkout!
Let's face it: we could all use a little more sun protection in our lives. So if you aren’t already talking to your clients about the overall benefits of applying sunscreen to their faces every day, it’s time to start.
We rounded up 4 ways to promote the benefits of sunscreen to your clients.
1. It's time to get real about the facts.
Don’t be afraid to scare them a little with these facts:
- Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the nation, with almost 5.5 million cases diagnosed in Americans each year – more than breast, colon, lung and prostate cancers combined.
- 1 out of every 5 Americans will be diagnosed with some form of skin cancer in their lifetime.
- Over 90% of all skin cancer is caused by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun or indoor tanning devices.
2. Teach them how to incorporate it into their skincare routine.
Many clients think that adding sunscreen into their regular skincare routine can be tedious and annoying, but there are easy and beneficial ways to work SPF into their everyday schedule.
Sunscreen should be the very last step in their skin care routine, though it can go under their makeup.
3. Emphasize taking small steps to practice sun safety.
Small Steps to Sun Safety (From National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention):
- Use SPF 30 broad-spectrum (or higher), water-resistant sunscreen (the best sunscreen is the one you’ll use!);
- Apply 30 minutes before exposure;
- Reapply every two hours, after swimming or sweating, or as needed;
- Seek shade when possible from an umbrella, tree or other shade structure;
- Wear wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses, and UPF or protective clothing;
- Check the UV index before heading outside & avoid the sun during peak hours of 10 AM and 4 PM;
- Use extra caution near surfaces that reflect the sun’s rays, such as water, sand, and snow; and
- Never tan intentionally or use a tanning bed.
Learn more at www.SkinCancerPrevention.org
4. Give them a product they'll love
Recommend a sunscreen with “broad spectrum” protection. Sunscreens with this label protect against both UVA and UVB rays. Depending on the season and reason recommend a sunscreen that matches their lifestyle.
That's why we've created this digital resource for you. You can get the best advice, tips, and resources for your spa or aesthetics business by following us on social media. Follow us on Facebook, YouTube or Instagram—or all three! So you'll never miss another tip again.